zaterdag 22 juni 2019

Gastblog Sharron - Haida Gwaii - mei / juni


This is Sharron writing this week. A New Zealander who has been privileged to be one of the hundreds Jacomine and Roel have befriended in their adventures and extra lucky to get sailing and hiking with SY Tara in the Canadian National Park islands of Haida Gwaii - North of Vancouver Island.

Before flying off to Canada I hadn’t done my homework on exactly where I was going but was confident I was in good hands who would lead me on a great adventure. To rectify my lack of knowledge I started with a visit to the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver City on my stopover to meeting Tara in Prince Rupert on the Canadian side of the Alaskan border. The museum was just what I needed, explaining the unique First Nations culture and the tour guide saying how extremely fortunate I was to be able to visit the isolated National Park. Canada is so much bigger than you may think including the distance from the museum to the airport by bus and I missed my flight.

Jacomine and Roel were still happy to see me the next day and after an obligatory visit to Prince Rupert’s microbrewery we were off into Fjords of the Canadian Pacific West Coast inside passage. When a National Geographic tour boat came around a corner and waved I realised this must be somewhere very special on our planet. After a few days inside the passage we crossed over to the Haida Gwaii Islands - previously known as The Queen Charlottes, until the remaining First Nation people ceremoniously returned the name, nicely packaged in a box, to the Canadian government.

We explored the Northern Island with a rental car but the Southern Islands not only don’t have roads but are a restricted National park governed jointly by the Haida people and National Parks Canada. 
A private introduction course and registration fee was required before we could sail through this preserved group of islands. Not only are the plants, animals and sea life protected there but also the history of the Haida people. Like so many invaded nations the Aboriginals were forced to stop speaking their language and practicing their customs. Many descendants of those who survived the smallpox epidemic, which was the major reason for the population going from 7000 on arrival of the first white “iron” man in 1835 to just 800 people 50 years later, are now struggling with alcohol and drug abuse in the two villages that remain in the North. The road back to a healthy community I strongly believe is through knowing your roots and gaining pride in yourself and your original culture. 
This process had an acknowledged start when protests succeeded in stopping the logging industry from the clear cut decimation of the southern area now known as the Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve. Young people are now learning the language, studying the history, carving new totem poles and we even met a Haida surfer building his traditional wooden home. The corner posts alone had taken 3 years to fell the red cedars and hand chisel to the shape required. When we were at the home of a traditional artist who had a fine arts university degree I was proud when his wife, who is travelling to New Zealand next month on an indigenous people conference, said that they saw the Maori people as leaders in recapturing their heritage. The Haida were the first homo sapiens into North America over 10,000 years ago as the islands were not reached by the ice shelf of the ice age. Discussions with more Haida people, learning their history and seeing their art I am getting convinced of the theory that they have had pre-European contact with Polynesians. I could see reason that they consider themselves more to be a Pacific Island people than Canadian. There are theories that either they had been visited by or journeyed to the more Southern Pacific Islands, perhaps Hawaii, long before European discovery.

One sunny morning aboard we funnily all came out with the South Pacific island of Tonga t-shirts on, from where we first met in 2016. I think they are looking forward to returning to swim with the whales in Tonga again next year. Jacomine did bravely swim around the boat one morning but surely she will enjoy the South Pacific water a lot more. I dipped myself in the sea once. That was after stepping out of a natural hot pool though.

The hot pools were at one of the abandoned village sites which are now closely guarded by a “Watchman” at each island. After calling for permission to come ashore they meet you and walk around the old village remains showing the Totem poles that still stood or were being swallowed up by the giant cedar trees. Hopefully Jacomine will write more next blog about why the Totem poles were constructed and about the horrible effects of the clear cut logging the forest. The old growth / virgin forest we were able to go bear hunting in are called “salmon forests” because of their nutrient dependency on the dying spawned salmon being carried into their forest floors by eagles and bears. We can actually see on the rings of the cut trees if it has been a good salmon year or not by how much the tree has grown that year.

As we sailed down through the park over 11 days we just keep saying every day, wow this is so beautiful, "mooie", at each anchorage. All the wild animals we encountered is wonderful for me as a Kiwi. I am sure I saw a new species each day. One evening dinghy discovery trip we watched a black bear for 30 minutes eating, snoozing and pooing and there seemed to always be a seal watching us in each bay. The Steller sea lions and sea otters on my last day sailing were exciting too. The only creature I missed on my tick list was orcas – I was compensated with one printed on my beer glass at my last night in the pub with the locals in Port Hardy.

The only negative comment for the Trip Advisor review of my tour is that the rotating deck gourmet restaurant was sometimes in the shade of the boom. I laughed when Jacomine said whilst feeling frustrated that we didn’t get to each bay she hoped to that day “Well, you can only be happy in one place at a time.” The next day she said “If I ever run out of places I want to see, it is time to die.” Thank you so very much R & J for such a great opportunity to adventure around in the wilderness.

Sharron Beck – Bear hunter and Whangarei Marina Manager, on a Pacific Island further south.


























Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten